Thursday, July 24, 2008

What is wrong with Samsung Omnia?


Two days ago, i bought my Samsung Omnia.

And if you know me, i am a person who will research and consider carefully before making a decision.

Yet somehow i miss some stuff sometimes.

Today i sold my Omnia and made some profit(i continued my plan). Some of my friends asked me to review the Omnia. I won't be saying how good Omnia is, i mean it is an awesome phone with huge memory(16G) , huge LCD(3.2inch, bigger than iphone 3G) , awesome camera( 5MP, not all high MP camera are good but this phone produce great pictures!) and i think it has the business look and it got a different "flavour" as iphone 3G.Iphone 3G is more like for kids and teenager, Omnia is for Man.


However, nothing in this world is perfect.Here are some reasons why NOT to get Omnia.

1.Software problem.

When starting the camera in the portray mode, you will notice a "stuck" pixel at the top left corner of the screen.I changed a new set and it is still there.Well you might say i am picky but i guess it is an eyesore.

After taking 3 pictures, i couldn't start the camera at all! an error msg keep appearing.Despite having close all the task and making sure i selected the right memory to save my pictures, the error is still there! The only way is to on and off the phone.It happened to me thrice today.Imagine you trying to snap "the moment" type of picture, having to restart the phone for me is a big nono.


2.Vibrator.

Yes , the vibrate-when-you-touch-the-screen function is good.But even if you touch in between the icons it will still vibrate! meaning nothing will happen and it vibrate! I mean it is to notify you that you touch and activated something, not when you touch the screen! it is a good innovation step but need some tweaking.

While the vibrate-when-you-touch-the-screen function gives a good vibration, but the intensity of the vibration is the same as when someone call you or sms you! i had a few missed call because of that. I might have missed the function to increase the intensity but the chances are low. I have tried looking for it for the whole day!

3.Messenging.

Perhaps i am not used to it but the "button" layout and font size of the Omnia is really bad.The size of the font when choosing who to send the msg to is really bad.It is sooo small, half the size of my nokia n81 font!.I mean the screen is 3.2 inches they should make the font bigger!

Ya i mis-sent 10 msg today! because the send button is located jus below the pad at the left corner! can u imagine u holding the hp and trying not to mistype( it is very hard not to mis type without the stylus, O2 phone and iphone perform much better in this area), i kept accidently press the send button and poooh, i send a grubbish msg to someone.Trust me, it will happen to you at least once if you get the phone.



Don't get me wrong.Omnia is a phone with awesome functions. However, i believe Details determine destiny.While it is true the functions and specifications will blow you away, there is some minor tweakings needed to make it a good phone. Think about ipod.It does not have radio or speaker yet it outsold the zen.True, the look is great but it is more of the ease of use that propel it to greatness.I personally feel that Omnia have missed the detail to make it a truly good phone.

No comments: