Sunday, July 6, 2008

My family

Today i had a funny conversation with my mom.We were discussing about this weird friend of hers who just called her.Then she proclaimed that alot of our neighbours told her that they were surprised to know her friend's son is actually an undergraduate.Then she go on to mention that my dad and her don't look like people whose kids are undergraduates.


in her exact words, she said,

" Who would expect us to have kids who go uni? look at our faces and our background people also don't believe."


Indeed, it wasn't easy having come all the way to where my sis and i are at now.My family is below average income family and my dad had only P4(incomplete) education and my mom P3.While i was growing up, it is hard to understand why my friend's dad drives big cars while mine drove lorry.It is also hard to understand why i never gotten anything for my birthday.sometimes not even a cake.Even ss i slowly grew up and understood the picture, things didn't really improve.Friends around me starts to get richer and had better family backgrounds and i often feel inferior to them.perhaps it is because of my poor command of english as compared to them or because of the luxury goods they could afford, i feel i am different from them.



The turning point came when i was in secondary school.I recalled i often think about my future and how i want to be.Thank God for my teachers.They often motivate me and tell me i could be all i want to be , regardless of what background i come from.I began working hard and I meant really hard.Because my foundations are not good, i need to work doubly hard and I learn to set my standards high.I would do above and beyond what is necessary and be the best I know how.I want to be the best.


Fast forward many years, I wouldn't say i have made it, but i can proudly say that i did my best and my parents are proud of me.I am not ashamed to say that my dad still drives a lorry but a bigger and better one.They still work hard to support my studies as well as my sister's.And of course their education level still remain unchanged.

One thing that certainly have changed over the years is my outlook of life.I really thank God for the family He gave me to mold me into who i am today.I thank God for the people he placed in my life, be it those who despites me or those who encourages me, I can never be who i am without them.


Now.........

I believe the sky is the limit for me!

No comments: