Tuesday, January 20, 2009

my idol


Today was window shopping day. Wanna check out the vest at bugis street, really CMI. I must agree with Raine, Topman one is sooo much better but it is sooo much more ex!! $87 for a piece of cloth?! Too much for me to bear, plus it is BF period. Tight.


We happen to walk pass 77th street and i just took a glance and it has been a while since i step in. Memories started to flood about the past encounters i had with Elim chew.The founder of 77th street, Elim chew is one of the few person that really change my life. I rem when i was in children church serving, she came a few times to give talks to the kids. As all of us know, she is a really busy person. She got businesses everywhere, like singapore(14 outlets) and china etc..yet she makes time to go church on sun ( at least during JW i see her every sun) and she makes time to impact the youth.


A large part of who I am can be attributed to her. Often than not she will talk about how busy her typical day is and how she still makes time to travel to those poor countries to help fund kids and children to school. During the Q & A session, the kids will ask her how she got so much energy and what drives her. I particularly remember one session where the kids ask her how old is she and how come she is not married and why she work so hard( opssss), she replied,


" When i was young, i came from a poor family. My sis and i got to work and fend for ourselves. As i grow up, i began to want to help people.But I realised that in this world, money talks.Everything needs money. With money i can help alot of people. Then I began to work very hard, because i want to help alot of people. I want to impact the society."


I was very impacted by what she say. I rem it was during the end of my year 1 and my results at that time were not good. I began to pray and ask God for directions. I look at myself and wonder how can i ever change society if i am just a normal average person?! Then and there, i sort of have a transformed mindset. People like Isaac said i became crazy about school, but in my opinion, i became super focused. I pushed my standard all the way up. In whatever i do, i try my best to have the spirit of excellence.



After 3 years, I am pretty much the same guy but with a new mindset. I hope ( not trying to sound impressive) eventually I can be a mover of society, in the marketplace. Because I know and I know that you can say whatever you want and do whatever you want to do but If you hold no power, wealth or knowledge, you can't change anything. A.R. Bernard once said that these 3 things are the shapers of society, but Wealth is the most powerful one. I really hope that one day I can be a social entrepreneur. One that is powerul and influential and yet able to contribute to that society.



No comments: