Friday, March 6, 2009

Permanent Head Damage

Just came back from PhD talk.

I am TEMPTED!

Firstly of all, i have a 95% of getting the scholarship.Spoke to the Prof MO Lai and he told me in exact words, " You will definitely get it. We will give it to you."
Sound like some free gift.Now I am at a dilemma. I need to fulfill my bond.

Interest aside

Option 1: Stick with my bond
- Get paid about 2.8k a month, get a few month bonus at the end of the year. Spend my time in shipyard under the sun( that is a plus point actually). Start my career off as a scholar.

Option 2: Go for PhD
- get paid 2.3k a month for a month or so then increment to 2.8k after 1 to 2 years. Graduate (hopefully) with a PhD. Starting paid expected, 4.5k a month. Depending on where i go, perhaps as a lecturer etc, i might earn more as a starting pay. No bonds.


Mmmmm...need to pray for wisdom and advice from people. actually, i am hoping more for option 3


Option 3: Go for both
- apply for deferment till i graduate with a PhD and go back serve my bond. In the mean time, i survive on the stipend from NUS.



If option 3 really come to pass, i will be REALLY Happy. Grad with a PhD and with a job ready! That is like a dream come true!

Well, actually i am ok with going back to work. But one thing KH said that struck me is that, "if you can go for something higher and better, why not?" I guess it is not about the Dr or the pay but more of realising my potential!


Keep me strong!

No comments: