Saturday, March 7, 2009

"Fresh" Graduate

Was talking to some of my friends on my way back from church and we were debating on why so many fresh graduatse from Uni can't seems to find jobs. While it is true that the eonomy is bad, however it seems the problem isn't that bad for poly graduates or ITE graduates.

We do agree on 2 points.

1)The Economy is bad.

This isn't the best time to graduate or would i say, this ISN'T the time to graduate at all! Uni graduates not only compete with one another but also those kena retrenched with experiences under their belt!

2)The "fresh" mindset.

Alot of companies are actually hiring. It is just that people refused to work for them. To put it frankly, we feel we are "up" one level and this job is not "suitable" for us. I got admit this is a real problem. Personally, i don like sales job. Even sales engineer, to me, i feel you study so much to do sales?! might as well go poly and then go be sales engineer after that. Having to speak to so many of my friends, many of them are actually quite picky even till now. Don't want teacher, don't want army, airforce or navy, don't want hardcore engineering, don't want shipyard, don't want alot of OT one, must be office based, hopefully town area, cannot jurong island, want bigh companies, want to pay well, want to have good bonus, cannot wear lab coat on, cannot have outdoor, cannot this cannot that.

I guess at the end of the day, we need to look at ourselves.

So what if we are Uni graduate? NUS alone, produce 20k Uni graduate per year!

Yes 20k! I am not even 0.001 of the cohort!

I think i really need to manage my expectation and re-evaluate the way I look at my bond..


This sort of give me a reality check.

No comments: